Title

Title
Tally Ho!

Sunday 17 December 2017

Kings of War campaign - battle 4

After a few weeks break due to work commitments I was back in harness this week with a game of Kings of War over in Fishponds. This weeks scenario took place in some rolling countryside - the board is divided into 6 equal zones and points are scored for controlling zones in your own half (1 point each) or the opponents half (2 points each.)

Expecting the terrain to be denser than it was I dropped the Mamakil and mounted Sergeant Regiments  opting instead for additional heavy infantry and some Sargent Troops.

The Dark Elves set up to hold in their centre and attack on their right, with a few flying units on their left to snipe some objectives late in the game.

Dark Elves left - appropriately in shadow 

Dark Elves right

My plan was similar but having a larger force I could cover more ground. I would attack on my left with my best mounted / flying units, attack in the middle with my heavy infantry, and look to disrupt on my right to contest a few objectives. The Troops of sergeants would be used in the rear line to counter any sneaky flyers hopping over my front line.

Persian centre

Persian left

So the stage was set for a major conflict on my left as my main attack ran into the Dark Elves biggest effort. The elves winning the initiative pushed forward  on both flanks whilst holding back in the middle.
Elves main attack advances

Gargoyles and a mounted hero on the Elves left 
 I attacked a across the line and in  move that really disrupted the Elves plans immediately attacked the Gargoyles leading the assault with my mounted scouts. This blocked-up the flank and prevented them fully deploying their units for a precious turn. In the centre my heavy infantry pushed forward against the woods and I moved some cavalry and archers to counter the flying units on the right.
Persian centre and left attacks

The decisive battle on the Persian left
I then unleashed my heavy cavalry and air elemental destroying several of the units in the Elves main attack.
Persian making headway
As battle was joined on the left my heavy infantry was able to assault the Elves seeking to hold the central sector.  
The Persian centre and right advances carefully

Heavy infantry comes to blows
 Back on the left superior numbers began to tell as the heavy cavalry and flying carpets mopped-up most of the Elves and captured the objective.
The Persian left wins the day

Mopping-up
With both flanks in my possession and the centre under pressure we declared the game a win for the Persians in 4 turns. The score was 7-2 to the men.

Persian right captures the objectives
For an Elves-eye view see this longer write-up

http://fishpondswargames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/artefacts-of-kyron-campaign-battle-4.html


No comments:

Post a Comment