This week for our second game of Shadow of the Eagles we used all the available rules; general quality, more detailed unit quality and permitted formations. We fought attack vs defence with a 25% larger Russian force vs the French.
The French had 25% of the infantry as Inferior and all cavalry as Regular. They got +1 initiative giving them a bigger chance to determine activation order.
I think this week's learning would be
- Skirmish screens continue to be effective for both attackers and defenders - extending the separation allowed to 9" meaning they are relevant for more of the game.
- Russians might be slow but they are tough nuts and rally wounds quite quickly. They feel the equal of Regular French with their split profile.
- Cavalry combats are a bit of a crap shoot and its tough to avoid additional casualties from recoiling units.
- Inept generals are nt too bad - I think we only had 1 turn of total inactivity from his brigade
- Inferior units are pretty weak, especially if you get them into melee