Title

Title
Tally Ho!

Sunday 28 January 2018

Kings of War - assualting the river

This weekend we played the fifth game in our ongoing Kings of War campaign featuring my fantasy Persians against my brothers Dark Elves (Kin). In this game both sides had to carry as many victory markers as possible over the half way line (marked by a stream) with one additional marker in the centre. Both sides started with 3 markers, which must be assigned to a specific unit.

Thinking through the scenario in advance it occurred to me that as the Dark Elves have several cheap units of flyers (Gargoyles) they may well give the markers to these and try to "snipe" a win by hiding these at the back then suddenly rush them over the half way line in the last 2 moves. To counter this I selected 4 small units of cavalry (Scouts and Sergeants) to act as a mobile backline to sweep-up these.

When deployment began it was clear I was wrong though - the Dark Elves assigned the markers to the heavy infantry and massed most of their troops on their right. I in turn had massed my best troops and the victory markers (Kings Guard infantry and Knights) opposite the ford on my own right, where they would be least hindered by the stream. So I abandoned my backline and instead deployed the cavalry to try and delay the Dark Elves advance.
   
The field from my left

Field from the Elves left with their lancers in the foreground

the mighty Mamakil

Elves main attack
So given our deployments this was going to be race in two parts, Firstly which of us could advance our right flank quickest to get our markers over the line then threaten the enemy. Secondly who could seize the 7th (central) marker which might be the tie breaker.

My own advance was swift and largely unimpeded as the Dark Elves only had a unit of skirmishers opposing them who were quickly brushed aside. Over on my left my small cavalry units succeeded in slowing the advance of the Dark Elves, aided by some spoiling attacks from my infantry and Jinn.

Persian Knights advance

The delaying action

In the centre the Dark Elves lancers pushed forward crushing my Mamakil and unit of archers before capturing the all important 7th victory marker.

Nasty lancers roll me up

Still delaying

Elves turn to face my flank attack

As my own right flank advanced in a wide arc into the enemy centre I was able to continue delaying the Elves own advance with my small cavalry force and some well timed fireballs from my wizard. In the centre the Elves lancers fond themselves isolated and were attacked by two units of my heavy infantry. who succeeded in retaking the 7th objective.

Lancers are isolated

Still delaying!


Persian Knights sweep away the Elves flank

As we entered turn 6 my flanking manoeuvre finally arrived and the Knights were able to attack and rout one of the Elfish infantry units carrying a victory marker. So in the end my Persians held the objectives 5 - 2. The score perhaps did nt reflect the full action as my casualties were about double the Elves.

lovely Gargoyles

Victories Knights

So an interesting game and not quite the one I'd expected. In hindsight had the Elves sought to contain the Persians then use flyers to get their objectives  over the line at the end I may have really struggled to move rapidly enough.

For the elfish version check here http://fishpondswargames.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/artefacts-of-kyron-campaign-battle-5.html

2 comments:

  1. I knew there was a reason not to put the markers on the Gargoyles but could not remember why, units with markers lose both flying & nimble rules.

    ReplyDelete